I just leaned over your crib to give you yet another kiss goodnight. As I stood up, I stopped and thought about all the kids I know whose parents probably don't kiss them goodnight. Their parents are too busy, too drunk or high, or just too overwhelmed to care for a child. I see kids not dressed for the weather, wearing shoes that are too small or way too big, and so dirty they are sent to the office to have their face washed. I know kids who are never read to, never played with, and never hugged. It breaks my heart.
There are a lot of times that I wish I could stay home with you all day, every day. It's moments like the one I had tonight that will make it easier to walk out the door tomorrow. You have everything you need, especially the attention and love of two devoted parents. Someone must help the kids that need more. I use my job to do just that.
I love you, Asher. In a strange way, going to work is an expression of that love.
You are amazing and I'm privileged to be your parent. I wish everyone felt that way about their child.
Love,
Mom
3 comments:
This made me cry, Lara! You are a wonderful person, woman, mom and daughter!
Oh Lara -
What a gift you are to all of us!
And Asher -
You are indeed blessed and a blessing.
So lovely, and so true. I often think about the sad lives some of my students have, and feel so happy that Asher already has such a wonderful start in life.
Post a Comment