Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Dad's Turn

So, what a post by mom yesterday. You know, she doesn't talk about her feelings much so that was pretty good. Your dad on the other hand pretty much never stops talking.

I will just add that I've thought for a while that I would like being a dad. I used to joke that I wanted a bunch of kids. Then it became half-jokingly. Now I'm dead serious. I couldn't be sure until you came along. In fact, to wax tyric (that's a word I made up based on Greek meaning "cheesy") it seems to be what I was born to do. I think I knew when I saw your first ultrasound, but I know I knew when you were born.

Not that long ago, I thought big career stuff was what I was called to do. I've liked many of the different jobs I've had--but it's nothing like this. Even when you're being a buttbaby and screaming for no reason in the middle of the night, I like the challenge of trying to figure out how to fix it. And as much as I love nature--stars, planets, forests, mountains, animals--there is nothing as cool in the world as watching a baby grow. I also really enjoy taking care of the house for you and momma and making you meals. It just feels like what I was supposed to do in life. I never had a job like that. And future employers: I hope you read this. If you don't see this as a strong virtue, then you're not for me anyway.

So, even though I am busying myself with a lot of projects, they only really motivate me to help you and your mom. I'm very lucky to have you both, and you've both made life great--but until you came along, Asher, I didn't know what it was for.

Dad.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Touched my heart. Lucky, lucky Asher - lucky all of you!

Effie said...

I agree with Jane! It is wonderful for the three of you! (Or, should I say 6?)

tonya said...

Asher -- you are blessed, and a blessing! These words from your parents are priceless....